What are the animations?
Animation, in the simplest term, is the creation of an illusion of movement. The whole process involves designing, creating, and drawing sequential photos that are integrated into various multimedia products. However, one thing to note here is the difference between animation and videos. Videos break up the entire continuous motion into discrete frames, whereas animations begin with individual pictures and create an illusion of continuity or movement.
Let us look at some of the types of animations:
- Traditional animation ( hand-drawn animation)
- Stop motion animation (Claymation, Cut-outs)
- Motion Graphics (Typography, Animated logos/trademarks)
- Computer animation
- 2D animation (vector-based)
- 3D animation
With the ever-growing demand for animation for multiple industries, it is important for animators and creators to develop good quality animations. Animations are woven into the multimedia genre with a huge mix of pictures, videos, audios, and various other resources. Optimal and effective usage of all of them combined makes for a good animation. Let us take a look at how we can make our animations better and more effective while aligning with the initial requirement.
- Gathering Information: You can never go wrong if you have enough information. Gathering as much information and doing in-depth research before imagining the character or creating one is the basis of good animation. It will add layers, depth, authenticity, and relevance to the animation.
- Engaging Content: Keeping your audience engaged is the sure hallmark of great animation. The animators need to keep the information that they are trying to convey, sequential, punchy, and preferably in the form of a story as opposed to a documentary. A story or dialogue increases the originality of the animation.
- Unpredictability and exceeding the Audience’s expectations: While designing a story or a cartoon, unpredictability, and unexpected twists work wonders. It enriches the entire material and keeps the audience wanting more. It exceeds the audience's expectations and provides a bigger return for their investment of time and money.
- Humour: Humour is one of the key elements of good animation. Nothing can convey a message more effectively than an element of humour combined with the message. It also makes the animation highly watchable.
- Appropriate Sound Effects: Good and effective sound effects can elevate the entire animation and the experience of watching it. Good sound effects invariably complement the visuals and not overshadow it. It works harmoniously with the visual elements to create a perfect animation.
- Creating a Story: Creating an engaging story will effectively communicate your message to the audience. A good story needs to have 3 basic components:
- Hook: This is the most aspect of any animation. The first 10 seconds of your animation needs to be catchy and get the audience hooked. If the first 10 seconds are not effectively utilized, the viewer can quickly lose interest and might not decide to watch the rest of the story. Therefore, the hook should give the audience a reason to stay for the remainder of the animation.
- Body: Body is the main part. Once you have successfully caught the viewer’s attention, it is important to give them content that is worth their while. It needs to be as good as the hook so that you do not end up destroying the interest that has been aroused by the hook.
- Conclusion: If the hook and body were good and the viewers have made it this far, they are most likely to stay for the conclusion part. The animator needs to make the most of this opportunity; they can either add an action item or a link to another work or even a feedback section. This increases both user interaction and experience.
- Creating a storyboard or sequential arrangement: Creation of a storyboard is crucial to the process of animation. It helps in organizing your thoughts and getting a preview of how the integrated product will look. It can also serve as good presentation material for all the stakeholders.
Incorporating these 7 effective tips can elevate your animation and add the extra appeal. Animations as an art form and as a medium is as popular among adults as they’re among children therefore using this medium effectively can help in communicating vial ideas and information.