To achieve the UX design that results in completely satisfied customers, it is vital to have a smooth design process flow. Here is where the UX design tools act as an asset to the UX design team. Design tools or prototyping tools allow designers to transform their vision into tangible results through testing, prototyping, wireframing, and team collaboration.
Role of design tools in User Experience
The ultimate aim of any design tool is to provide optimal user experience. To achieve this end, every UX designer must be aware of the best UX design tools in the market that can help deliver a great design in the minimum time. They provide a simulation of the complete application flow, performance and visual representation of how the product will look like. The biggest benefit of prototyping tools is the identification of bugs early. The sooner the failure, the quicker the learning. Features can be validated in subsequent iterations and improved accordingly.
With businesses putting increased focus on UX design, a myriad of UX tools have flooded the marketspace. But there are only 10 design tools that reign supreme in generating an unparalleled user experience.
Top 10 UX design tools in the market
- Adobe XD
Adobe XD, a product from Adobe supports vector designing using geometric elements. With capability to provide an excellent user experience. Adobe XD supports website wireframing as well.
- Fast and responsive web pages to save time and maintain quality. Useful to check compatibility of applications with other websites and apps.
- Wireframes and designs can be viewed on a full screen. Customers can view the wireframes on full screen for better user experience.
- The auto-animate feature helps improve the design of animations. This leaves very less room for errors in design and prototyping.
- Voice prototyping feature lets the designers interact with the device with ease
- Economical when compared to Adobe photoshop
- Works very well with Google Cloud
- Can demonstrate prototypes very well
- Facilitates quick design and navigation
InVision Studio, a product of a company called “Invision” is a UX prototype design tool used for smooth error free design process.
- Inbuilt drawing tools enables creation of web pages quickly. Customized web pages can be built with this tool.
- This tool can be used for cross platform application development. They can also run on various devices. It is highly scalable across various electronic devices.
- Enables quick creation of prototypes with many features included such as drag and drop and immediate playback. Easy to develop and share giving regular status updates to designers.
- Can be linked with other applications easily. Users can collaborate and remain in touch with other members of the Invision platform.
- Designer can present prototypes that can get quick customer approvals
- Through the prototype version, customers can get the experience of viewing the actual website.
- Facilities to get customer feedback on development of the product
- Invision maintains of past designs that can be accessed by the designers
Used for designing apps on mobile and websites, this tool is designed by a company called Bohemian. This tool works only on MAC OS.
- Prototyping with resizing options
- Library includes numerous design features that can be shared with the entire team
- Designers can work in “Dark Mode” where they concentrate only on the current problem at hand ignoring other distractions
- Designers can include more text and images to improve the overall look
- Can address the requirements of each and every designer
- Can create unique designs that can collaborate with other applications
- Plugins that improve performance can be added regularly
- In Figma, designers can concurrently view and edit files like Google Docs.
- Healthy communication is possible amongst the team that is driver to powerful design
- There is a Slack Channel option where designers can set alerts on email or other changes
- This browser-based tool enables quick collaboration amongst team members while designing or prototyping.
- There is version control and project tracking feature in Figma.
- Figma runs on Windows, Linux and Mac OS
- Project status can be viewed by designers in real time
- Professional review and feedback on designs is obtained through this tool
Photoshop is one of the most efficient offerings of adobe where images can be created and edited with ease.
- With the Cloud feature of Adobe, the designer can view his files from anywhere, anytime.
- The 3D feature of Adobe helps to import 3D objects into Photoshop directly
- Retouching tools have paved way for significant progress in graphics designing
- Minor edits can be easily done with Photoshop
- Simple images get a huge makeover with this tool
Similar to Photoshop, Illustrator has some unique features that UX designers will love.
- With Adobe Illustrator, designers can work with gradients freely.
- Global edit option helps perform multiple edits of similar elements.
- Very friendly user interface
- Panel editing option available
- Illustrator is platform independent and scalable.
Adobe Indesign is a tool used for page layout and design.
- It can access various file formats such as PDF
- The users can tag various item on a page
- There is HTML export feature available
- The tool enhances accessibility and usability of the application
- Screen reading software is used to read alternate texts for the hearing impaired,
- Designers can export their work into HTML format easily.
Marvel is a commonly used UX tool for many innovative prototype and wireframe designs.
- All design features are user controlled from any device through the browser
- Designers can test their interactive prototypes in real time
- Extensive collaboration and feedback between team members is possible throughout the development process
- Easy to use tool with plugin facility available
- Provides excellent user experience with images interlinking feature
- Design details can be professionally shared with all team members
- Designers can test the prototypes on many devices simultaneously
Protopie is a tool for building prototypes for smart devices.
- This tool can create animations and interactions without a single line of code
- Designer can work with Protopie without any prior knowledge of the tool
- Smart device sensors can be controlled from within the prototype.
- This tool is simple to learn
- Designers can achieve optimal design without a single line of code
- Protopie offers sensor support and facility to test the prototypes on many devices.
Axure is a UX tool used mainly for Wireframing and web development.
- Clear layout with prominent icons to save time of the designer
- Styling feature for the wireframes available in this tool
- Supports various animation and widget features.
- Prototypes made can be password protected
- Designers get access and control over the previous design versions